[aodvv2-discuss] Re: metric comments

  • From: Lotte Steenbrink <lotte.steenbrink@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:56:25 +0100

Hi all,

Am 04.03.2015 um 15:54 schrieb Lotte Steenbrink
<lotte.steenbrink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Am 04.03.2015 um 15:50 schrieb Charlie Perkins
> <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Hello Lotte,
>>
>> Small follow-up below...

>> So let's do this...
>>

>>> Well, when we're talking IoT, we're talking environments in which Hop Count
>>> has been shown to deliver suboptimal results, if I remember the research
>>> right. So IoT deployments most likely need other (new, experimental?)
>>> metrics. By forcing them to add an additional MetricType TLV, we're
>>> essentially penalizing environments which very much rely on having smaller
>>> packets...
>>
>> What if in general we use Metric + extension type, but for HopCount we just
>> use Metric?
>
> That could be a compromise.. Let me think about that.
>

>>> Nope, there wasn't but I could start one ;)
>>
>> Please do...
>
> Will do :)

So, after this has been done and has even spawned some feedback (yay!), I've
put together a suggestion to incorporate extension types, as well as having
DEFAULT_METRIC_TYPE be of value 0 and always set, as suggested by Henning.
Since most of the draft is not 5444-specific, I mostly had to update section 10
and the algorithms. Before I post anything to the list, I thought I'd share
with you folks in case I messed up something in the algorithms section or
anything is unclear.
I know Dallas is close, but in case somebody can find some time...

Cheers,
Lotte