[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Unicast v Multicast (was System Integration)

  • From: "Ratliff, Stanley" <sratliff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2015 15:54:47 +0000

From: aodvv2-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:aodvv2-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Dowdell

The behaviour here is inside the boundary of things we as a team are charged
with specifying, and thus we need to agree what is best, before the cut-off
deadline.

Spot-on, IMO. I’m going to continue to stay out of this – as far as I’m
concerned, the arguments have been laid out, and the minds are already set.
I’ll just note some things:

1. The draft cutoff is July 6. 5 days (not including today) away.

2. We have 5 days. Only 5 days.

3. See points 1 and 2.

4. AFAIK, this “Unicast vs. Multicast” issue is one of two that concerns
me.

5. The other issue, and I’m not completely sure where we stand on this,
is handling of gateway processing. Specifically, I’m not sure if Justin has
been consulted (and *signed off on*) any understanding, or assumed conditions
for gateway operation (e.g. that the gateway *must not* also be the default
router).

6. What we seek is “rough consensus”. Rough consensus ≠ Unanimity of
opinion. It is possible for 1, or even 2 (depending on circumstances) members
of the team to be “in the rough” on any given issue.

7. We are in a position where the WG essentially has to accept what we’ve
accomplished, or the spec dies. (Really, it gets sent to “Experimental Hell”).

8. *IT IS NOT MY INTENT TO OPEN A DISCUSSION ON HISTORY.* Having said
that, I simply state: Our ability to argue positions that are contrary to
active WG participants has basically vanished – squandered away over the last
10 ½ YEARS. (draft-ietf-manet-dymo-00 was submitted on January 5, 2005).

9. Referencing points 7 & 8 above - *ARGUING ANY ISSUE TO STALEMATE WILL
RESULT IN THE DEATH OF AODVV2*. We *MUST* make a decision. I’m prepared to be
declared “in the rough” on *any* decision, but I say again – we *MUST* decide.

10. Please see points 1 and 2 above. Decisions *MUST* be made with sufficient
time remaining to edit the draft.

Stan

This electronic message and any files transmitted with it contains
information from iDirect, which may be privileged, proprietary
and/or confidential. It is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the original
recipient or the person responsible for delivering the email to the
intended recipient, be advised that you have received this email
in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email
in error, please delete it and immediately notify the sender.