[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Routing workspace

  • From: Victoria Mercieca <vmercieca0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 00:04:40 +0100

Hi John and Stan,

I agree with you both on the separation of RIB etc.

However, for the RREP and ack discussion: when the RREP arrives at A, A
installs a valid route to TargAddr and can start forwarding regardless of
whether acks have been sent. I dont think there's a race condition
there...? The acks are only relevant for routes to OrigAddr. If the RREP
goes back to RREQ_Gen first, and then RREP_Acks go back toward TargAddr (at
the same time as data), all the intermediate nodes then set the route to
OrigAddr to a valid state (idle I think), one by one, towards TargAddr.
Potentially if data was received at TargAddr, and TargAddr sent data back
to OrigAddr before the RREP_Ack got back to RREP_Gen, then the route to
OrigAddr would still be Unconfirmed at RREP_GEN and we might initiate a
RREQ and buffer the data...but when the ACK catches up, the route to
OrigAddr becomes valid and the data would be forwarded. No route errors
would occur though, like in the hop by hop case.

Aside from the downsides of extra delay and extra control traffic, I think
it might be more correct to require the RREP to reach RREQ_Gen before acks
then get sent all the way back to RREP_Gen. Otherwise we risk adding routes
to OrigAddr prematurely, since a) the rest of the route might not be
bidirectional and b) if we start using the route to OrigAddr before
everyone further down the line has installed it, we will see errors as John
mentioned.

Regards,
Vicky.
On 13 Oct 2015 21:55, "John Dowdell" <john.dowdell486@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all

I think this problem is in two parts.

1. Should AODVv2 perform its routing discovery calculations and
recording in a private workspace, away from the RIN and FIB, before the
route is declared valid and can be released to the RIB? I think it should.

2. Should RREP-Ack be performed on a hop by hop basis, or end to end?
Example: Router A is originating, routers B and C are intermediate, and
Router D is the destination. Hop by hop ack would mean D sends C an RREP,
then C sends D an RREP-Ack. End to end means RREP-Ack is not sent until the
RREP arrives back at A, then A sends B an RREP-Ack, B sends to C and so on.
The first is ok unless data is ready to be sent D to A, then there might be
a data plane and control plane race in the reverse direction relative to
the route request. The second is ok unless there is data to be sent A to D
(which we know there is, otherwise the route would not have been
requested), and then there could be a data plane and control plane race in
the forward direction. I think I've just talked myself into hop by hop
RREP-Ack.....

Regards
John

On Tuesday, 13 October 2015, Victoria Mercieca <vmercieca0@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Gahhhh, just realised I didn't incorporate this idea about the separation
from the RIB. Should I do this and release a version 13?

Sorry all!

Vicky.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Ratliff, Stanley <sratliff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

John,

Uhhhh, I don’t know about a verbatim lift; the copyright is listed as

Copyright (c) 2015 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the

document authors. All rights reserved.

Since the authors are listed as well as the IETF trust, I think we
should stay away from a verbatim lift. But using it as a template is OK.

Regards,
Stan