[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Regarding the discussion about tagging everyaddress.

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 11:01:02 -0700

Hello Lotte,

Yes, the issue is complex. The discussion yesterday explicitly excluded consideration
of the complexities, stopping with stated resistance to review my further analysis to
show that Henning's statement of negative future effects on protocol design was not
well-grounded in the case of AODVv2.

I would not characterize the author team as being in agreement on this, because we
clearly are not. But honestly I had hoped for at least some discussion on the matter.
But, again as you have noted, the complexity and the resistance from RFC 5444 is
quite energy sapping. Maybe I have too much energy and too much desire to avoid
accepting technical declarations that seem inaccurate to me (for reasons I have
put into the earlier email).

It pains me that Stan finds this insulting. I don't often find that having the energy
to identify the exact technical nature of disagreements to be insulting and now I
feel that my effort is irksome to everyone else here. Nasty waters to navigate.

I'll ponder whether or not to send email to Alvaro. Stan obviously hates the idea.
I wish we could at least agree on the basis for the decision. From the teleconference
yesterday, I thought it was "We can't win this". Now the decision may be "We can't
win this, and we're not going to talk about it".

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 6/9/2015 10:21 AM, Lotte Steenbrink wrote:

Hi Charlie,

Am 09.06.2015 um 19:14 schrieb Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>:

Hello John,

My understanding matches yours. Can you help me to reformulate my proposed email to Alvaro to avoid what irks Stan?

Basically, I am sort-of O.K. with making required business proposals, much like I am sort-of O.K. with voting for the
lesser of two evils. I just want it clearly understood that we are making a business resolution, not a technical
resolution.

You're making it sound like we were (and are) in violent agreement about how to handle this issue, and RFC5444 got in the way of our collective decision. The discussion around this issue was more complex, heterogenous and energy-sapping than that, and so are the opinions among the author group. I believe the wording you choose should reflect this.

Regards,
Lotte

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 6/9/2015 10:00 AM, John Dowdell wrote:
All

Charlie, I understand you feel technical boundaries have been moved somewhat since 5444 was written. I'm ok with that, but...

Personally I took the view I did after deciding we were not going to win this particular battle, based on discussions with Henning. Technically right or wrong doesn't matter, sadly.

What matters to me is winning the war, that is getting to last call in Prague with nods of approval around the room.

So Charlie, this is definitely not personal, but this is business, and we had to make a business call.

Hope that makes sense.

Best regards
John