[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Questions - Control Message Limit

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:56:28 -0700

Hello folks,

More follow-up below...

On 4/16/2015 7:02 AM, Victoria Mercieca wrote:

This email contains questions about the control message limit (Section 9 in Version 9a or Section 6.3 in Version 9b):

* If the limit is reached, should any AODVv2 messages we would have
sent get buffered? Draft currently says they would be discarded. RREP, RREP_Ack, and RERR for an undeliverable packet seem too
important to just drop.

Dropping is simplest. I'd be O.K. if you wanted to make more text to refine this however.

* If we can't send a RREQ due to this limit being reached, would we
send a destination unreachable ICMP message to the router client
requesting the route?

No, that would be in dangerous territory. We should treat it the same
as a congestive failure.

* My view of order of importance: RREP_Ack (to avoid being
blacklisted), RERR for undeliverable packet (to stop other routers
forwarding data to us), RREP, RREQ, RERR for newly invalid routes.

I am O.K. with this.

* How does the limit work? Wouldn't we need to check if we are
getting close to it, and then start discarding messages in order
of least importance as we get closer to the limit?

I am O.K. with this also. It's a good idea, but no one ever asked for it :-)

Regards,
Charlie P.