[aodvv2-discuss] Re: FW: Re: How to interface with the host routing table <from user space>?

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 10:54:07 -0700

Hello Stan,

I thought my point was responsive to your question. Some of the operations affecting the route table happen because a link breaks and routes need to be invalidated, or a packet cannot be forwarded. If a solution does not handle link breakages, then that solution will impose less burden on the route table interface.

I really don't think I was talking past you on this.

I interpret your words to mean that we should NOT respond on the mailing list until ALL of the comments have some resolution.

If you would like to be more responsive sooner, we could instead post follow-up on MOST of the comments with the further notice that our full resolution to the route table interface question is not yet complete.

No matter what, the route table interface question deserves its own email.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 8/31/2015 10:39 AM, Ratliff, Stanley wrote:

Charlie,

I get the distinct impression that, as a co-worker of mine used to say, "We're
talking past each other". I don't know how we got off into link breakage, or
re-linking the object files with a socket wrapper, or recompiling with a new clib.a...
and at any rate, all of that discussion is at a much more detailed-level than I was
interested in. I'm just simply trying to string 3 points together to give us some
direction:

1. Clausen is raising (valid, IMO) concerns about how the AODVv2 draft
interfaces with the host routing table.
2. LOADng was (apparently) written in such a manner that interface with host
routing table wasn't an issue (or it dealt with it).
3. Therefore, why don't we use LOADng as a template to craft text concerning
the interface with the host routing table?

As for your statement that.. "But first, we have to get responses back to the WG mailing list..."
I'm unwilling to respond to the list without at least attempting to address Thomas' route table issue. Since
he (Thomas) has, by far, complained the loudest about the AODVv2 team being "unresponsive" and
"unwilling to change", I think it's imperative that we at least acknowledge that we are looking at
his concern. Anything less than that will put us back into the same vicious loop we were in until very
recently.

Regards,
Stan