[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Appendices and RFC 5444 (was Writing for the future, was Appendices and RFC 5444)

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 05:42:07 -0800

Hello Lotte,

Thanks for reviewing the code.

Making the changes you suggest will be quite easy.  I'll do it today.

And, to everyone:

I'm only suggesting keeping the pseudocode long enough for the WG
to see it.  If the WG wants it out, it would naturally go out.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 3/3/2015 1:52 AM, Lotte Steenbrink wrote:
Hi Stan, hi all,

Am 02.03.2015 um 23:02 schrieb Stan Ratliff <ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx>>:

Vicky,

We need to close on this item. I appreciate the arguments on both sides of the discussion. Don't mean to be blunt, but "I'm undecided" doesn't help a whole lot... ;-)

I'm just tired of being beaten silly by the RFC 5444 authors as to (1) that the AODVv2 editorial team doesn't understand RFC 5444, (2) that we're not using it right, (3) that it's really, really easy, and should be intuitively obvious to the casual observer, and (4) why can't we get it right.

Full ack. I believe I've started out with a very positive attitude towards RFC 5444, and I still like the idea behind it, but I've started to become extremely annoyed at the fact that we are supposed to conform to some API that the 5444 authors cannot be bothered to actually publish, despite being asked to do so for a very long time.
However.

I'm still of the opinion that you don't hand your adversary (and it unfortunately HAS become adversarial) the ammunition needed to blow you up.

I'm not quite sure if the pseudocode is the real ammunition here.
I've never been a fan of adding blobs of pseudocode this big to the draft, especially since the algorithms just sum up what the draft should have put into words anyway, but I have to admit that they've become pretty neat. I can see how this pseudocode may help some people with their implementation, and I even can see how they may help with building RFC 5444 messages, but it extremely frustrates me that I'd probably have to wade through this pseudocode *and* RFC5444 to understand what exactly I have to feed my builder/parser, because the descriptions in section 10 are still somewhat ambiguous (see earlier e-mail). I'd prefer to have the sharper definitions outside of the appendix, but I'm not sure if we have the time.
I have a problem with the following parts of the pseudocode:

[in Generate_RREQ ]

          MF (Message Flags) = 4 (only msg-hop-limit field is present)
          MAL (Message Address Length) = 3 for IPv4, 15 for IPv6
          msg-size = NN (octets - counting MsgHdr, AddrBlk, and AddrTLVs)
          [...]
          msg.tlvs-length := 0
          [...]
          msg.tlvs-length += metricMsgTlv total length
          [...]
          num-addr := 2
 origSeqNumAddrBlkTlv.thassingleindex := 1
 origSeqNumAddrBlkTlv.index-start := 0
 [...]
targSeqNumAddrBlkTlv.thassingleindex := 1
targSeqNumAddrBlkTlv.index-start := 1
  [...]
 metricAddrBlkTlv.thassingleindex := 1
metricAddrBlkTlv.index-start := 0
  [...]
  VALIDITY_TIMEAddrBlkTlv.thassingleindex := 1
  VALIDITY_TIMEAddrBlkTlv.index-start := 0

[the same with Regenerate_RREQ, Generate_RREP and Regenerate_RREP]

The rest of it is generic enough to not be ammunition (I think).
I'd assume people who aren't going to use a RFC5444 parser but still want to build RFC5444 packets will have to consult RFC 5444 anyway, and they're going to come up with ways how to build those headers that suit them best. Trying to help them by adding pseudocode that describes how to put together a 5444 header sounds like ammunition to me too. Not only can and will the 5444 people attack this, but it might actually confuse said implementors. I believe that this kind of stuff should stay in RFC5444 alone.

TL;DR: I can live with having a pseudocode summary of AODVv2's operations in the appendix, but in my opinion, the parts describing how to build 5444 internals will have to go in favor of more precise packet descriptions (if we still have the time).

Regards,
Lotte

Regards,
Stan

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Victoria Mercieca <vmercieca0@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:vmercieca0@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Stan,

    I think Charlie has a point that the RFC 5444 stuff would be
    useful to people who arent going to use a parser. But I also
    agree with you that we could get a lot of grief if it's wrong. So
    I'm undecided!

    Would it be an option to remove it but to leave a note in there
    that should the reader wish to see some implementation advice on
    the RFC 5444 message format, they can contact the authors?
    Charlie what do you think? We could then worry about the
    correctness separately to the draft?

    Regards,
    Vicky.

    On Monday, March 2, 2015, Stan Ratliff <ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        OK, gang -

        Monday has pretty much come and gone, at least in the CET
        timezone. Since we have a deadline for submission of the
        draft, I think we need to finally settle on the issue of the
        amount of RFC 5444 discussion in Appendix A and Appendix B.

        To recap, we have (I believe) 3 opinions to remove the
        references, 1 opinion  to keep them.

        I'm ready to declare that consensus has been reached, and the
        5444
        tutorial/discussion/recommendation/however-we-classify-it
        goes bye-bye.

        Differing opinions? Serve 'em up quick.

        Regards,
        Stan