[aodvv2-discuss] Re: Appendices and RFC 5444 (was Writing for the future, was Appendices and RFC 5444)

  • From: Charlie Perkins <charles.perkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: aodvv2-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 14:24:15 -0800

Hello Stan,

You have the strongest negative opinion on this.  But, now, Vicky
has done a stellar job of updating the sections.  I think you should
not stand in the way of keeping the sections for the next revision.

Also please keep in mind that it will be me who gets shot at, not
you.  Plus, you have to allow for the possibility of success!  What if
people like the updated code?

As I mentioned before, it's easy to take the sections out, but
hard to get them back in.  And I do think it will be useful for the
implementers.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 3/2/2015 2:02 PM, Stan Ratliff wrote:
Vicky,

We need to close on this item. I appreciate the arguments on both sides of the discussion. Don't mean to be blunt, but "I'm undecided" doesn't help a whole lot... ;-)

I'm just tired of being beaten silly by the RFC 5444 authors as to (1) that the AODVv2 editorial team doesn't understand RFC 5444, (2) that we're not using it right, (3) that it's really, really easy, and should be intuitively obvious to the casual observer, and (4) why can't we get it right.

I'm still of the opinion that you don't hand your adversary (and it unfortunately HAS become adversarial) the ammunition needed to blow you up.

Regards,
Stan

On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 4:15 PM, Victoria Mercieca <vmercieca0@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:vmercieca0@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Stan,

    I think Charlie has a point that the RFC 5444 stuff would be
    useful to people who arent going to use a parser. But I also agree
    with you that we could get a lot of grief if it's wrong. So I'm
    undecided!

    Would it be an option to remove it but to leave a note in there
    that should the reader wish to see some implementation advice on
    the RFC 5444 message format, they can contact the authors? Charlie
    what do you think? We could then worry about the correctness
    separately to the draft?

    Regards,
    Vicky.

    On Monday, March 2, 2015, Stan Ratliff <ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:ratliffstan@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        OK, gang -

        Monday has pretty much come and gone, at least in the CET
        timezone. Since we have a deadline for submission of the
        draft, I think we need to finally settle on the issue of the
        amount of RFC 5444 discussion in Appendix A and Appendix B.

        To recap, we have (I believe) 3 opinions to remove the
        references, 1 opinion  to keep them.

        I'm ready to declare that consensus has been reached, and the
        5444 tutorial/discussion/recommendation/however-we-classify-it
        goes bye-bye.

        Differing opinions? Serve 'em up quick.

        Regards,
        Stan