[antispam-f] Re: What have they got against Deborah anyway?

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 09:00:29 +0100

In article <4e8b06e796Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 [snip]

> Demon user's mails arrive with (because of the assumed smtp delivery
> method) with an extra received: header which shows the smtp envelope
> info (as received: ... for recipient ...." but it's not in a form
> that's readily directly extractd and tested unless
> (my/Frank's/whoever's) AntiSpam specifically looks for that info in
> that particular header.

Recent versions do just that. There's a pseudo header keyword Recipient
that you can use to look for the recipient from the envelope. This is
taken from:

 - The first Envelope-To header (if any);
 - The first Delivered-To header (if any);
 - The first Received header's 'for' field (unless this is mentioned in
   the IgnoreReceiver settings variable);
 - A later Received header's 'for' field (if earlier ones were mentioned
   in the IgnoreReceiver settings variable);
 - The first To header.

Whichever comes first. There's also an optional X-AntiSpam-Recipient
header which should always contain the value used for the Recipient
checks.

I use Recipient with a negated list rule, i.e.:

 Delete Recipient !... Alias

The file Alias contains all the email aliasses I use with my accounts.
There's a couple of Accepts before this rule to actively accept stuff
and some Deletes for junk that's sent to my real addresses, both also
using list files.

The total number of lines in my Rules file is now down to 27 (and that's
including some comments and blank lines...). On average, not more than
ten messages a day get through and need further checking from the
Marking window. Considering my accounts get around 2000 (mostly junk)
emails a day, I can live with that.

Regards,
Frank