[antispam-f] Re: Rule hitting 50% of spam

  • From: Dave Barnett <as10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 18:42:31 GMT

In a recent message           Harriet Bazley
<lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here's an example of a perfectly genuine reply I received last month
> (arrived at the ISP without Message-ID *or* References headers....)
> Presumably Microsoft's 'Thread-Index' header is supposed to be a substitute?

[snip quoted headers]

RFC2822 is supposed to be the 'standard' to follow.  I have tried to
pick out the bits that apply here.  They all have the status 'SHOULD'
:-(  'MUST' would have been much better.  I find these exercises heavy
going.

Section 3.6.4 states:
Though optional, every message SHOULD have a "Message-ID:" field.
Furthermore, reply messages SHOULD have "In-Reply-To:" and
"References:" fields as appropriate, [...]
There is no mention of 'Thread-Index' but you can add almost any
header you like.  It does, however, have a "In-Reply-To:" field.  The
"Message-ID:" is added by the sender's ISP, this implies that the
original message did not have one, or that the replier's mailer did
not forward it.

The universal get-out appears later:
"If the parent has none of the "References:", "In-Reply-To:", or
"Message-ID:" fields, then the new message will have no "References:"
field."

It does appear that Mucky$oft is applying their Not-Invented-Here
rule.  How they can claim to be fighting malware and spam if they make
up ever changing rules as they go along, I do not know :-(   It seems
that 'Spammers Rule OK'.

--
Dave
Keep GMT all year