[antispam-f] Re: POP Error situations

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 21:25:03 +0200

In article <4e42b7b725freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Martin <freelists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A suggestion and a question about some errors I have been seeing recently
> of the following sorts in the AntiSpam logs ...

> #1:   07 Jul 12:37:19 040 Failed to resolve remote host

> #2:   07 Jul 12:43:15 040 Time out while logging in

> #3:   07 Jul 12:56:15 020 Invalid argument (error #&20E16)
>       07 Jul 12:56:15 020 Aborted: unable to connect to host

> The suggestion is: can errors like this somehow be indicated on the
> Summary which is displayed when the download ends? When such errors
> happen, I can be oblivious for some time until I wonder why nothing has
> been downloaded! Perhaps the End time displayed could be red background,
> with the text 'Errors' after the date?

Sensible suggestion. I've been caught out by 'invisible' errors myself
once or twice and already made a note about adding some kind of
indication to the icon bar icon. Using the Summary window isn't a bad
idea either...

> The question is: What does the 'Invalid Argument' error #3 mean? When it
> has happened the only solution I have found so far is to re-boot the
> broadband Router!

All the above errors indicate some problem with the connection. If I
remember correctly EINVAL (socket error &16) occurs when trying to
perform some action on an unconnected socket, like reading/writing just
after the connection broke.

> And another question: is there any way to log diverted messages, with the
> action taken? I would like to be able to review them sometimes to see if
> there is anything which I should/could add to my rules file. Rather like
> the log of messages deleted by the rules.

Not currently, no. Sounds like another logging option coming on.

Regards,
Frank