[antispam-f] Re: Logging deferred messages

  • From: Jeremy Nicoll - freelists <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 18:25:44 +0000

Tricia Garner <tricia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That all sounds very good, especially the summary of defer info. Pity I
> don't have the skill to do something similar.

Well the first bit, making log files small is easy to organise.  It just
needs you to run a small program every so often that hives off the existing
log to somewhere else.  Subsequently you can manually (or automatically)
delete very old logs, eg all those collected > 60 days ago.

If 'every so often' is after every run, then the program can be triggered
automatically. Depending on how you pass the incoming mail files to your
mail client, that process could trigger archiving of the log(s).  Or you
could do it every time you start AntiSpam, or every time it shuts down, or
every time you reboot your machine, or ...

Doing this with logs is particularly sensible if you also (as I do) run with
full logging.  The logs fill up fast, but full-logging is the only way to be
fairly certain that if & when a problem occurs the details are in the logs.
Lots of people don't do that and run with minimal logging, which means the
logs don't contain much useful info.

As to the StrongED stuff, there's no point in going there if you don't
already use StrongED because it's too big a learning curve.  But some of the
rest is possible.  What editor do you use?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own