[antispam-f] Delete after download / Ignore messages already retrieved

  • From: Robin Hampshire <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 15:12:27 +0100

In article <5214392830antispam@xxxxxxxxx>,
   Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <52142d57d1robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Robin Hampshire <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In article <521311a743antispam@xxxxxxxxx>,
> >    Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Currently testing this. 1.63 alpha 3 is in the development zip on
> > > http://antispam.aconet.nl/

> > It seems to be doing the same as before, Frank - i.e. if you click on
> > "Process", everything is deferred each and every time,

> Weird. I have several defer rules in my Rules file and accepting a
> deferred message in the Marking window now works fine here, even after
> pressing 'Process'.

> If you press 'Process', what happens to the text in the Action field?
> Does it become [Accept] or does it stay Accept without the brackets?

> If it does change to [Accept], please check the date of the Source file
> in !AntiSpam.Resources. That should be 14 September 2011. If it isn't,
> you may have gotten the wrong zip.

> > whether or not it is on a whitelist, passes a rule or you mark it to
> > accept on the next download.

> I'm not sure I understand the whitelist or passing a rule bit in this
> context. Wasn't this about messages which had been deferred on a rule
> first and were then accepted in the Marking window?

I seem to have the correct zip, as the Source file in Resources is dated
14th September 2011.

After further tests this Sunday morning (it's not ideal as I don't tend to
get many emails over a weekend), but I am now totally confused.

I have sent myself 4 test emails from a different domain (on a separate
computer here at home), with "test 1", "test 2", "test 3" and "test 4" in
the subject lines of each (without the quotes).

The first time I downloaded these emails, all four appeared in the marking
window, "test 1" showing Defer (no square brackets) in the Action box and
with one of my UserTest rules in the Rule window. The User Test in
question does not test the subject line, but should have "Accepted" the
message because of the From: address.

The other three tests showed [Accept] in the Action box and the Rule
window was empty in each case. Again, if the same User Test had been
reached each of them should have been accepted as they all came from the
same From: address.

At this point, within the marking window clicking Accept on message 1
changed the Action window to Accept (no square brackets). Clicking Accept
on any of the other messages had no effect, even after Process was clicked.

On the next download message "test 1" was successfully downloaded and the
other 3 appeared in the marking window again with the Rule box empty and
each of them marked [Accept]. At this point I could force a message to be
Accept'ed by clicking first on Delete, at which point the Action box
changed to Delete (no square brackets) and then on Accept, at which point
the Action box changed to Accept (no square bracket). On the next
download, that message was successfully downloaded.

My next experiment was to place a simple '*report "found"' command on the
first line of the User Rule that had picked up on "test 1" but not on the
others, and then deleted the Summaries file so as to make AS scan all of
the messages in the postbox once again. AS was quit and restarted.

At this point once again "test 1" was placed in the marking window as
before with the appropriate User Rule in the Rule box, but no output to
Reporter. The Rule box also reported that the user rule in question was
#170, presumably meaning the 170th rule tested.

At this stage I was a bit baffled as to why the user rule had been used
for the message, but that there was no output to Reporter.

Next I moved the reference to this user rule from #170 up to very close to
the beginning of the rules, just in case another rule earlier on had been
interfering with it. Saved the Rules files, quit and restarted AS.

The marking window once again reported that message "test 1" was Deferred
on #170 (the same User Test) when in fact it should now have been almost
the very first test undertaken.

I then commented out every line of the Rules file, saved it, deleted the
Summaries file and then quit/restarted AS. Same outcome - "test 1" was
caught by the same User Test at #170

In case AS was looking at a different Choices directory to the one I was
expecting it to, I put a '*report chs$' command immediately after the line

     IF new%PROCopenChoices

towards the start of the AS !RunImage file, and Reporter came back with
chs$="HostFS::Harddisc4.$.!boot.Choices.Users.Single.Antispam." as
expected.

I even renamed the UserTests file and moved it out of the AS_Choices
directory but still the same result came back in the marking window
(Summaries file deleted and AS quit/restarted between each change).

I also noticed that the beta version creates a Cache directory in the
Choices directory, so I tried deleting that but still same result.

In utter confusion, as I'm fast running out of time to do any more, I have
reverted back to my previous version of AS and put all the rules and
settings back to what they were.

After reverting back, I sent myself another set of test emails as before,
and moved the relevant User Test from its former place at #170 to nearer
the beginning of the sequence. This time, Reporter picked up the fact that
all of the messages were tested and the Rule box in the marking window
stated that the User Test was #32 in each case.

I'm sorry these results were so confusing. I really haven't a clue what's
been going on.

regards,

--
Robin Hampshire