[antispam-f] Re: Defering already downloaded files - can it be done

  • From: Richard Porter <ricp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:11:39 +0100

On 7 Aug 2006 P M Noble <pm_noble@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a question - can antispam defer already downloaded files.
>
> The situation is that my wife and I use yahoo to store our emails, I also
> download every one to the RO box.  This means that while the inbox in
> yahoo can have emials in it I am repeatedly downloading the same emails, I
> then use the delete duplicates feature in pluto to delete duplicates.
>
> I was wondering whether I could do a rule in antispam to defer the emails
> that I have already downloaded so only new ones that are
> accepted/defaulted get downloaded.
>
> Can this be done via a rule or would it need a program change?

It sounds to me as though you are asking for something which is well
outside the scope of AntiSpam, although it might be possible to write
a user test that maintains a file of downloaded message IDs and just
defers messages that have already been seen.

There's a similar problem that I find a bit irritating. Now I'm on
broadband I've set AS to poll the mailbox every five minutes for new
mail. This means that if I header a message for any reason (usually
because it is very large) then I get the same header every five
minutes until I do something about it. Since the ID is held by AS for
the marking facility, would it be possible to ignore messages that
have already been headered until they are actioned?

Another improvement would be to send the header to the same
address(es) as the original message so it gets filtered into the
correct mailbox. I realise that this isn't quite as simple as it
sounds because the relevant address can be one of many in various
different headers. However it might be possible to keep the same
headers and just substitute the message body, possibly prepending
something like "HDR: " to the subject.

--
 _
|_|. _   Richard Porter               http://www.minijem.plus.com/