[antispam-f] Re: Chaining Hermes

  • From: Dave Barnett <as10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 18:05:07 GMT

In a recent message           Jeremy Nicoll - freelists
<jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dave Barnett <as10@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In a recent message           Jeremy Nicoll - freelists
>> <jn.flists.73@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>>[...]  We're just not exactly sure why anyone
>>> would do that... unless they've been impressed by the vendor's adverts?
>>
>> It came as part of the Netfetch update, at least I wanted to give it a
>> try before commenting.

> I'm biased; I don't understand why people buy Netfetch at all...
For those who do not have the deep understanding that you do, It
provides a front end.

>> Before, I had an efficient(?) way to scan the mail, mark where
>> necessary, pass to PopStar and SpamStamp and on to MessengerPro.

> Before...  Before what?

As in previously.

> I don't understand what you mean by "pass to POPstar".  If you were scanning
> mail (by AntiSpam?) why did you need POPstar (except for its SMTP-send
> capability)?

>> That process involved PopStar which took the mail and passed it to
>> SpamStamp

> I still don't understand what POPstar does in that.  Why not pass mail
> straight from AS to SpamStamp?

Back in 2003, Ray Dawson posted an e-mail to the AntiSpam list with a
modification to PopStar Choices:
 'quote'
(this is all one line!!)
TransferEnd: Spamstamp -indir <POPstar$MailDir>.spool.mail.text
-outdir <POPstar$MailDir>.spool.mail.checked -append -backup
<POPstar$MailDir>.spool.mail.backup -rename
 'unquote'.

Thus, in my mind, the 3 applications became intimately linked.  The
effect is that a single click will fetch and scan mail for reading in
Messenger.

>> ...  I hoped to
>> reproduce that chain with Marcel instead of PopStar.

> Marcel?
Hermes. Sorry, crosstalk in the grey matter.

--
Dave
Keep GMT all year