[antispam-f] Re: Blacklist vs DeleteFrom

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <antispam@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: antispam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:57:37 +0200

In article <4f0ad35cdclists@xxxxxxxx>,
   lists (ww) <lists@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> When I installed a recent AS (v1.06.a5) I saw that it had provision
> for a Blacklist file, but I could not see how this differed fromthe
> existing DeleteFrom file.

The way it's used - from a rules file using the List operator - is no
different. See the Lists page in the StrongHelp manual.

There are several special files for black/whitelisting. They're not
special in the way they're used, more how they're created.

For instance, a whitelist called - wait for it - Whitelist can be
created by the !Import tool (accessible from the menu - see the Import
page) using several known address books. Another one can be created with
the SendWhitelist option.
Currently the only way to create a blacklist without manually inserting
email addresses and/or domain names is from the Marking window: the
DeleteFrom list. A whitelist called AcceptFrom can be 'maintained' in
the same way.

> Nevertheless I created Choices.AntiSpam.Blacklist in case it was
> better.

No need.

> Now, in Choices.AntiSpam.Rules I have both:
>   Delete From: List
>   Delete From: List DeleteFrom

That's fine, but it would use the same file twice (the List operator
without argument will use a name made up of the two preceding keywords,
i.e. Delete + From = DeleteFrom). In fact it wouldn't, because the
second line - being the same - would be ignored (or rather it /should/
be ignored - did I ever implement that?).

> Where does the Marking window put emails (or domain names) we want
> blacklisted?

The email addresses or domain names blacklisted from the Marking window
are always added to the DeleteFrom list (whitelisted items go to the
AcceptFrom list). See the last paragraphs of the Marking window page.

Any messages to be marked as deleted or accepted that have already been
downloaded will be in a subdirectory of AntiSpam$Scrap. Once they've
been marked and processed, they will either be deleted or moved to the
relevant download file.

Regards,
Frank