[amstereo-dmf] Re: Verry OT: Recording of Today Show anyone ??

  • From: David Mitchell <davidm44509@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amstereo-dmf@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 17:26:16 -0500

I get all of them terrestrial (OTA - over the air). Here in the states, both
ABC and Fox Networks broadcast in 720p while NBC, CBS and CW broadcast in
1080p.

The quality depends on each individual station and how many subchannels they
are running. For example, the ABC affiliate in Youngstown, OH WYTV
broadcasts in 720p but has 2 subchannels in 480i. 33-2 is My YTV and 33-3 is
Weather. 33-1 only carries 2 channel audio while the ABC affiliate in
Cleveland, OH (WEWS) broadcasts in 720p with no subchannels and includes
both 2 channel stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround audio. Since WEWS in
Cleveland has no subchannels, all of their bandwidth is allocated to 5-1
while the ABC affiliate in Youngstown has to allocate bandwidth for all
three channels making the picture quality of WEWS superior.

In Youngstown, WKBN 27 (27-1 CBS and 27-2 Fox) broadcasts a dual 720p HD
feed on both channels. When I want to record from CBS I record off of KDKA
from Pittsburgh because they are in 1080p with no subchannels and Fox 8 in
Cleveland has no subchannels so I record Fox programs from them.

As you can see, bandwidth allocation varies station by station here
depending on how many subchannels they are running.

Dave in OH