[AMHSO] Re: who else is on the list?

  • From: Michael Schreiber <michaelschreiber@xxxxxxx>
  • To: amhso@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 17:09:34 +0100

Hello,

hope this more or less introduces myself and returns some feedback.

I am a father between art and science. I want to contribute Mathematica coding skills in general and in particular prototypes for relations between automaton rules like 110 and the Spencer-Brown form.

Is anyone of you interested in sessions about:

(1) A project from the NKS Summerschool: Composition of Rules
(2) (a) Spencer-Brown Form Term for Rule 110 (b) Infinite reentry.
(3) Art including a 2^27 bit rule on a three color plane.

(Please reply to me not a list .-) Let me know if one of you is interested in (1) rule composition, (2) Spencer-Brown forms as rules or (3) the area of rule application in art.

LESS

I agree to disagree about different points of view: like espresso not filter coffee with non chloride water and cake without artificial flavors; balance with yoga and new age meditations; kaleidoscope mp3 between classic and rave while smoking over code.

MORE

When nobody among my former colleagues in social science, marketing and sociocybernetics understood what I was talking about I started to explain to my computer with Mathematica.

When I realized that my prototypes might never reach the offline majority I started to design landart for participation.

When participation was abolished at universities here (I had been responsible for some organization development at the start of my career) while introducing new fees for students at the same time I ice packed my research into a final report including tables and pictures commented only by quotes in chinese -- then I left to have more time with my little son born just then.

Selfcritical about my formal qualifications I had decided to train my Mathematica skills by implementing a simple core for second order systems which process their own output. I had had long discussions with George Spencer-Brown a few years ago and used his Form. In order to show its universality I reconstructed rule 110 in terms of the Form. But this might be just the beginning.

The current state of the project is a prototype implementation for pseudo recursive reentry of Forms which accept their output as one of their inputs while processing further bit inputs (Is to carry out addition of infinite arguments a step towards understanding my observation of me in my universe?).

To escape the regressing university system and potentially questionable applications I produce invisible webart, concepts for participation landart, digital projections and photo renderings. Recent examples: Comparison of three versions of the Dao De by Lao Zhi using the resulting color codes as input for a 2^27 bit rule producing a frame for the kanji; distribution of primes in non standard form based enumeration of integers; legible block of rendered text quoting the Mathematical Subject Classification of Zentralblatt Math and Math Review (MSC 2000).

Posting an augmented version of the registration questionaire with an attached resume and adding a one line poem rule for a universe.

{ address }

                      name : Michael
               family name : Schreiber
                    street : Heimscholleg 26
                  zip code : A1130
                   country : Austria
                     email : Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                     phone : --43-1-8899858

{ academic background }

                university : Wirtschaftsuni Wien
                department : Marketing
             year of study : 78
     current degree sought : Dozent
thesis topic (if selected) : System
         advisor/group URL : na

Having taught Marketing there for a decade I submitted a habiliation which was not reviewed because the university claims not to be interested in systems...

{ science }

Q : on what topics do you consider yourself the most expert?
A : Spencer-Brown Form reentry, Cellular Automaton rules, Organisationsentwicklung, Marketing,

Q : what is the largest project you have completed up to date?
A : Implementation of a kind of data viewer, reconstructing three versions of the dao de in kanji, implementation of Spencer-Brown Form.

Q : have you worked on projects concerned with the rule 110 key topics?
A : yes: universal form 110

Q : would you like to present one of your projects at the meeting?
if so, give a short description or project URL
A : i could talk about the composition project you know from the NKS summerschool 2003

Q : have you done research or written scientific papers for publication?
A : there is one almost finished about the universal form. there is a formatted pdf about the older and newer stuff ...

Attached a resumee.

{ tools }

Q : which is your favourite tool for modelling and analyzing complex systems?
A : Mathematica

Q : would you like to give a workshop or an introduction to this tool?
A : yes maybe about doing art with it.

Q : did you work with any of the following tools?
A :                  DDLab : never used it
               Mathematica : advanced
              NKS-explorer : played with it
                  starlogo : never used it

I started to use latex, povray and some tools on an apple mac laptop in digital art (photo rendering and beamer projections).

{ equipment }

Q : are you going to bring your own computer? if so - does it have a network card or wlan?
A : laptop apple

Q : will you take any other hardware with you (like robots, webcam ...)?
A : could bring dv video gigital photo and webcam -- can you get a digital projector for us?

Q : do you already have some software/tools for your project? if so, which?
A : yes, Mathematica packages and raw Mathematica functions

Q : are you planning to bring any wetware (ant colonies, bee hives, slime mold ...)
A : no

{ projects }

Q : is there any of the projects listed in the project section you might want to join?
A : evolution and love
dormancy and sleeping cycles
agents and small worlds
pattern formation and perception

Q : do you have a project proposal of your own?
if so, give a short description, and what kind of descoveries you are expecting to make.
A : Progress in emulating machines by forms

Q : to which rule110 key topic/s should your project be related?
A : artificial societies
    evolution and development
    dynamic systems
    growth and form
    origins of life
    swarm intelligence
    selfassembly
    selforganisation and selfreplication

Q : how old are you?
A : 43

Q : do you have a homepage, we may look at?
A : http://michael.schreiber.at

Q : what is your personal motivation for joining the rule110 meeting?
A : would like to meet people I know and help to bootstrap NKS in Europe

Q : what are your favourite books?
A : NKS

Stephen Wolfram: A New Kind of Science is on my desk most of the time. Other top items include George Spencer Browns Laws of Forms and various dictionaries about mathematics.

Q : is there anything else you would like to tell about yourself? A : my son counts

His third birthday is next week and his mother posted a list of potential presents to the fridge. Her birthday is on the 13th so I will leave early.
.

{ feedback }

Q : are there key topics that should be added, in your opinion?
A : a button to upload a resume or other files maybe.

Q : do you have any suggestions regarding the organisation of the meeting?
A : maybe invite participants to bring their children and to provide affordable professional kindergarten service and selfhelp groups for spouses --- maybe some kinder computation too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- --
Levy : How long do you envision this rule of the universe to be?
Wolfram : I'm guessing it's really very short.
Levy : Like how long?
Wolfram : I don't know. In Mathematica, for example, perhaps three, four lines of code.

True.

{b,c}{{a}{b}{c}} returns the same output as rule 110 if {} is DiscreteDelta[] and abc are triples of inputs unknown but either {} or {{}}.

We can derive a model as a koan poem which distinguishes itself inside and outside of a universe observing itself return as itself in itself:

More than one is one but one in one is none.

Michael
--
Dr. Michael F. Schreiber, Heimschollegasse 26, Wien A1130, EU
43-1-8899858 Michael@xxxxxxxxxxxx http://Michael.Schreiber.at