[AMHSO] { notes on notebooks, network and the computer lab }

  • From: "Martin Schneider" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amhso@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:27:24 +0100 (CET)

Dear Alife Mutants,

Here's some more details about our working environment.

{ working space }

Since only two of the participants won't bring a notebook of their own, we
will not rent the computer lab, but we will have a room of our own where
we can set up the network.

{ network }

We will have 1 or 2 ISDN connections, so you can fetch emails etc, but
huge downloads won't be possible. Haus Neuland will charge us for using
the ISDN, but if everybody puts 1 Euro into the common cache box, it
should be enough to be online a whole day.

{ computer lab }

Those that don't have a notebook may still use the Haus Neuland computer
lab occasionally. (like up to four hours a day) But they will charge you 5
Euros per day(!), and the lab might be occupied by other groups at times.
So you are strongly encouraged to borrow a laptop from a friend. You might
also think about renting one at home, but this is usually quite expensive.
(like 70 Euros for one week)

I'm sorry if you feel betrayed that those 'hidden costs' were not
announced beforehand.  But the 160 Euros do only cover accomodation, food,
and the meeting and working rooms.

Cheers,
Martin