[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 10:57:20 -0500

I pray you are content in your spirits as your find adventure and discovery on the journey of faith.

All of us recognize the importance of structure in our lives. When the subject of faith is discussed often the topic of order arises. Faith gives us a means of engaging life while order enables faith to create and nurture community. Historically four provisions have been identified as essential elements for informing the relationship between faith and order: the church, the family, the school, and the state. We all eventually recognize the importance of government in our individual lives to regulate the expression of our passions. Government in society likewise is important to prevent the domination one person or group from inhibiting the expression of others. In order for community to occur the dignity and participation of all persons must be protected. This is the foundational principle to acknowledge when critiquing the role of government. These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday, 'Government and the law of love.'

* *