[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:45:53 -0600

I write to thank you for the invitation to continue serving with you as your
pastor.  The past relationship with you has been especially enriching for me
and Laura.  We are grateful for your gracious companionship and your
passionate determination to share yourselves with fellow pilgrims on the
journey of faith.  I am also particularly grateful for your input in the
Pastor Survey which identifies several concerns among us for the health and
vitality of the future witness of our church.

I commit to labor with you through the next three years to find faithful
ways to address these concerns.  I continue to believe that every expression
we generate must originate from and be compatible with the historical peace
witness of the Mennonite community.  This Anabaptist heritage is our unique,
signature confession and the most significant contribution we can make to
those whose paths we intersect.  We must continue to search for new ways to
share this inclusive vision with everyone:  we follow a non-violent God who
calls all persons to trust the wisdom of love declared by Jesus to lead us
into peaceful relationships across all boundaries.

Beginning in September I invite us to share in communion on the first Sunday
of every month.  This celebration will allow us to sense the presence and
power of Jesus in our community as we come together as church to publish our
witness of his message of 'repentance for forgiveness.'  We will follow this
practice for several months then decide if it is something we would like to
continue.

I have invited Clarence Bassett to be our guest preacher for Apr 19.  he is
eager to speak to us, however he would appreciate a backup plan if his
health prevents him from being with us on that day.  Please think of how you
would like to use this time if he is unable to bring the sermon.

Thank you for your ministry to our community.  May it go well with you.
Sincerely,