[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:54:22 -0600

I pray you are refreshed and encouraged in your journey of faith.

We learn early in life that 'experience' will be like an enlightening,
constant  schoolhouse for us.  Every day there are new impressions and
clarifications awaiting us; adventures enabling us to discover more about
who we are and how we exist in the complex, mysterious world of creation.
As our journey unfolds we are required to rethink patterns and perceptions
that have accumulated as our standard for measuring our individual response
to and participation in being human.  Somewhere along the way we recognize
that perhaps our greatest challenge is letting go of old ideas and opinions
that once served us well yet now have been found to be deficient.
'Experience' has proven these former concepts to be disruptive, even
destructive.  Lessons we learned in Sunday School, teachings acquired from
scriptures, these too are dynamic components also refined by 'experience.'
The slogan, 'Getting older is certain, growing up is optional,' expresses
the wisdom this truth.  In the readings from the holy texts, there is help
for us, and counsel, that will aid us in becoming the people of God for our
time.  These thoughts will compose the sermon for this next Sunday,
'Learning how to be Christian.'