[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:37:20 -0500

I trust the beauty around you inspires you and brings you comfort.

This next Sunday we will celebrate Pentecost, the testimony of God's divine
spirit within and among us.  The presence of the 'holy' spirit provides us a
practical source of both strength and direction.  Knowing we are following
in the way that honors God's intention for the creation generates endurance
and patience whenever we become discouraged.  Sustaining a commitment to
trust the supervision of the divine spirit gives us a purpose for our lives
and serves to orient us whenever we make decisions about how we will spend
ourselves in ministry.  Historically the church has passionately
acknowledged this 'Advocate' promised by Jesus as he prepared to ascend to
the creator God.  Accommodating for the presence of the holy spirit,
however, has proven to be a challenging and tenuous process for Christians,
both individually and corporately.  How does the holy spirit engage the
believing community?  How does the holy spirit influence the world at large?
What is the difference in our faith experience and that of those who lived
before the pouring out of God's spirit?  These thoughts will compose the
sermon for this next Sunday, 'Holy spirit as fulfillment of the gospel.'

We will share our community meal together this next Sunday.