[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:38:01 -0500

Whenever we survey the disruptions that exist in our world, not only those
nearby but also those far away, we feel both pain and desire.  We ache for
those suffering from manipulation and abuse.  We yearn to participate in
their redemption.  We also know the resources we employ to serve these
distress persons have never been able to defend and preserve their
well-being.  However, in spite of our limitations, we can acknowledge their
plight and call on the power of our God to deliver both us and them from the
consequences of evil.

At the recent dialogue with GSD&M to discover characteristics of the faith
of Texans, I submitted a short description of the content of our faith.  I
have added a paragraph to that initial confession which might be a starting
place for us to communicate our interest and concern to those persons
struggling in the world.  The text below represents this intention.  Please
review the letter, consider the consequences of distributing it, and we will
discuss the possibility of using something like this to speak out in support
of people who live beyond the fringes of comfort and security.

An Open Letter to the Besieged Communities of the World.

We are the Austin Mennonite church.  We believe the creator God intends for
all of life to be lived in peaceful relationship.  We believe the human life
of God in Jesus describes the perfect manner of living in relationship with
all diversity in creation.  We believe nations, corporations, and
institutions do not make decisions, but people individually decide what
their life will be about.

In composing our lives we implement the prophetic virtues of justice, mercy,
and respect across all boundaries in relating to others with our attitudes
and resources in order to nurture inclusive world community.  We believe
power structures can and do take from persons their resources and even their
lives in opposition to the intention of God for relationship.  Although we
oppose this exclusive use of power, we do not fight to secure our
possessions or our lives but in faith strive to follow the wisdom
established within us according to the pattern of Jesus.  We believe this
behavior not only honors what God has intended our lives to be but also
positions us for the coming age of righteousness and peace.

We hereby communicate our solidarity with you as you struggle to pursue
meaningful life and fulfilling relationship in your homeland.  We pray to
the great creator God that the Almighty will both defend and preserve you.
We oppose the actions taken against you which violate the eternally binding
rules of justice, mercy, and respect.  If we could choose relational
behaviors toward you we would not only repent of and ask forgiveness for
past offenses but also honor and nurture your vision of community and peace.

May the great creator God prevent us all from destroying our capacity to
embrace the divine intention for our lives together on this earth.

Thank you for contemplating and processing this idea.  May it go well with
you.  Sincerely,