[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 09:00:42 -0500

I pray you are refreshed in your spirits as you sense the company of other saints who have committed themselves to follow the way of Jesus.

How extensive is the experience of human life?  What are the boundaries of our existence?  These kinds of questions have intrigued people through the ages and have prompted many speculations about both the beginning and the end of our human condition.  And, in spite of all the meditation and imagination and analysis, there is no absolute answer to this inquiry.  Yet across the earth there exists unmistakable evidence that diverse groups of persons believed life in the earth was not the extent of the human experience.  Relics recovered in burial sites testify of a sustained belief in some form of afterlife.  Ancient cemeteries also contain provisions deposited with the corpses that were intended to help persons along their journey in another world beyond the earth.  This practice might have developed from the hope that individual existence would not end when the body dies.  Or it may have been prompted by the psychological awareness of a mystical, spiritual dimension of life that we know as the ‘content of conscience’ which provides a sense that some personal behaviors are appropriate and some actions create inner grief and distress.  Such a feeling could suggest that there would be a time of accounting for the character of one’s life in the earth.  The scriptures we hear today relate to dimensions of human existence that are beyond our present capacity to comprehend.

The scriptures we will consider this next Sunday are Job 19:23-27a; Luke 20:27-38; and 2 Thessalonians 2:1-5, 13-17.  Thoughts prompted by these passages will compose the sermon, 'The breadth of human life.'

We will share Communion and our Community Dinner together on Sunday.

Daylight Savings Time ends this weekend.  Set your clocks back one hour before Sunday Study Time and Worship.

The Announcements and the Worship Schedule for November follow below.

May it go well with you.  Sincerely,
Garland Robertson

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Please pass the hymnals to the aisle after worship.

Saturday, November 6  Seasonal choir practice for Advent/Christmas, 1:30p, AMC Sanctuary

Sunday, November 7  Community dinner, noon

Saturday, November 13, 9 am - 4 pm. Texas Mennonite Sale & Auction for World Relief, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 7901 Westview Dr, Houston TX. 77055.  For more information visit www.texasreliefsale.org.  If you are interested in attending the relief sale, volunteering to work, or donating items to the sale, contact Steve or Pat Hochstetler, srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx or call 989-1321.

Sunday, November 14   A Congregational Meeting will follow the morning worship service.  All persons in the community are encouraged to attend the hour session.

Sunday, November 14  Contemplative Prayer Group, general meeting, discussion, prayer.  1-2:30p, Austin Mennonite Church

Sunday, November 14   Working Group for the National Assembly to Honor Freedom of Conscience meeting over lunch, 1-2p  Austin Mennonite Church

Thursday, November 18   Trinity CDC benefit at 10,000 Villages store, 5-9p.  Shop great selections and support our neighborhood

Worship Schedule for November 2010

Date

Theme

Scripture

Music

Worship Leader

Preacher

Children

Story

Greeter

Décor

Nursery

10-10:30

7

Proper 27

Theme: He is God … of the living

Job 19:23-27a
Ps 17:1-9
2 Thess 2:1-5, 13-17                           Luke
20:27-38

Peggy and Miguel

Linda

Garland

Gloria

Dan

Coins for world relief

Judy

youth

Alex

14

Proper 28  Mission Sunday

Theme: Never tire of doing what is right

Malachi 4:1-2a

Ps 98
 2 Thess 3:6-13

Luke 21:5-19

Ron

Marilyn

Garland

Miguel

Stacy

Pat

Paul

youth

Alex

21

Reign of Christ       Proper 29

Theme: Be still, and know

Jeremiah 23:1-6
Ps 46
Colossians 1:11-20           Luke 23:33-43

Miguel and Jared

Aaron

Ron

Rudy

Craig M

Angela

Marby

Youth

Alex

28

First Sunday of Advent

Theme: Keep awake

Isaiah 2:1-5

Ps 122                             Romans 13:11-14  Matthew 24:36-44

Judy

Michael S

Garland

Yvonne