[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:18:55 -0500

I pray you are filled with gratitude and thanksgiving for the witnesses of faith that have lived before us.

Stories are at the heart of the journey of faith.  They recount experiences and testimonies of persons who have sensed the presence and engagement of God as they searched to find meaning and fulfillment in the mysterious and adventurous passages through life in the earth.  All of us have listened with curiosity and intrigue as we have heard these kinds of stories because they have the capacity to touch the human soul.  Faith stories resonate with our personal faith discoveries.  They expose a common recognition about the content contained in the wisdom of faith.  Faith stories confirm individual perceptions of what the creator intends life in the earth to be like.  They provide assurance for those who seek to find ways to fashion and nurture relationships.  Stories help us move across boundaries created by the diversity of cultures and social distinctions in a way that witnesses of the reality that all persons are members of the one human family.  The biblical record is a unique collection of stories passed down through generations that communicate conceptions of the nature and creative ministry of the divine spirit and how it impacts human life in the earth.  In its witness the progressive unfolding of human sensitivity to recognize and interpret the presence of the divine spirit can be compared with our own gradually expanding vision of God’s inclusive compassionate love for all of creation.  Stories accompany us like the presence of a good friend.

This next Sunday we will visit Mennonite heritage experiences, both in our music and in a time of story-telling.  There is no preplanned order of presenting stories and not all of us will be able to share the enriching stories that inspire and encourage us.  Yet this celebration offers an invitation for all of us not only to reflect on the ministries of persons we know about who followed a vision of faith and service in their life as a disciple of Jesus but also to realize once more what a blessed gift this memory is for us.

Also we will again invite persons who would like to sign the 'Covenant to be Church Together' but have not yet had opportunity to do so during the Offering time in the worship service.

The announcements and worship schedule for November 2010 follow below.

May it go well with you.  Sincerely,
Garland Robertson

 ANNOUNCEMENTS

Please pass the hymnals to the aisle after worship.

Sunday, October 31   Interested in forming a Young Adult Sunday School Class?  During the Study Time, 9:30-10:30, Paul Snow and the Youth Class will host all persons interested in organizing this opportunity.  Come share your vision of creative ways for this class to function.

Thursday, November 4   Men of the Church Breakfast, 7a, Jim’s Restaurant, Hwy 183 and Burnet Road

Friday, November 510:00 am.  Church Women United  celebrate World Community Day, theme "Building the Beloved Community."  David Chapel Missionary Church, 2211 Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard (78702).  Contact Pat Hochstetler, 989-1321.

Sunday, November 7  Daylight Savings Time Ends  Set your clocks back one hour before Sunday morning.

Saturday, November 13, 9 am - 4 pm. Texas Mennonite Sale & Auction for World Relief, Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 7901 Westview Dr, Houston TX. 77055.  For more information visit www.texasreliefsale.org.

If you are interested in attending the relief sale, volunteering to work, or donating items to the sale, contact Steve or Pat Hochstetler, srh2pjh@xxxxxxxxx or call 989-1321.

Sunday November 14  Contemplative Prayer Group,  general meeting, discussion, prayer.  1-2:30p, Austin Mennonite Church

Worship Schedule, November 2010

Date

Theme

Scripture

Music

Worship Leader

Preacher

Children

Story

Greeter

Décor

Nursery

10-10:30

7

Proper 27

Theme: He is God … of the living

Job 19:23-27a
Ps 17:1-9
2 Thess 2:1-5, 13-17                           Luke
20:27-38

Pat and Peggy

Linda

Garland

Gloria

Dan

Jennifer

Judy

youth

Alex

14

Proper 28  Mission Sunday

Theme: Never tire of doing what is right

Malachi 4:1-2a

Ps 98

2   Thess 3:6-13
Luke 21:5-19

Ron

Marilyn

Garland

Miguel

Stacy

Pat

Paul

youth

Alex

21

Reign of Christ       Proper 29

Theme: Be still, and know

Jeremiah 23:1-6
Ps 46
Colossians 1:11-20           Luke 23:33-43

Miguel and Jared

Aaron

Ron

Rudy

Craig M

Angela

Marby

Youth

Alex

28

First Sunday of Advent

Theme: Keep awake

Isaiah 2:1-5
Ps 122                             Romans 13:11-14  Matthew 24:36-44

Judy

Michael S

Garland

Yvonne