[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 14:09:24 -0500

I pray the season of Lent has enriched and assured you as you continue your journey of faith.

On Sunday we will begin our companionship with Jesus as he finishes his ministry. The king is coming to inaugurate his plan for reconciliation. Hosanna!

We move into Holy Week, watching Jesus let go of everything in order to hold on to God. Are we willing and ready to let go of everything in order to hold on to God? We are invited to accept Jesus as our pattern even in the way of the cross, to follow the one who emptied himself and became obedient. Are we willing to stand with Jesus, to become an empty vessel?

The scriptures suggested for Palm Sunday are from Zechariah 9:9-12 and Luke 19:28-48. Thoughts from these passages will compose the sermon, 'The meek language of liberation.'

During the study time in the Sanctuary Class, Ron will lead a discussion about the experience and individual impressions of the ministry of foot washing. Reflect on your past history with this witness and join us for sharing insights and practical dynamics associated with this intimate experience of community.

On April 2, beginning at 7p, we will provide a Passion Friday Tenebrae Service of Darkness. The meditation and music will enable us to remember the last days of Jesus as he was lead to his execution and burial. Before this service we will offer a time for persons who would appreciate the opportunity to participate in the communion of foot washing, beginning at 6:30.