[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:39:41 -0600

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday in the church calendar, the beginning of our journey of commemorating the passion of Jesus. This is an opportunity for us to observe the manner in which Jesus developed his witness and how he managed the consequences of his faithful response to the call of God in his life. This experience will work to renew our own passion for following the leading of God in our lives and provide us with an example of how to absorb the consequences of that faithfulness as an offering to God. During Passion Week, which begins March 28, we will share in a Tenebrae Service on Passion Friday, April 2. There will be a time before the service to observe the testimony and ministry of footwashing. During study time on March 28, Ron will lead the Sanctuary Class in a discussion of the meaning and experience that footwashing generates for persons in our community.

With God as our dwelling place and the Holy Spirit empowering us and revealing the way, we learn to trust the Word within own hearts. Where is our wilderness? What are our temptations that God is inviting us to release? Whom do we cling to for what? Do we even want to hang on to God?

Linda will be our preacher for the Lent 1 service. The texts suggested for this first Lent Sunday are Deuteronomy 26:1-11; Psalm 91:1-2, 9-16; Luke 4:1-13; and Romans 10:8b-13.

I will be away from the office until next Wednesday for my scheduled absence.