[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 13:54:14 -0600

Member and Friends of Austin Mennonite Church

I pray you are warm in your spirit as you negotiate your journey of faith.

This next Sunday comes a bit after the birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., a courageous prophet of our time who spoke out about abuses that previously had been noticed and dismissed by persons in power. His commitment to expose the injustice of civil systems that impacted the black community and the poor of all neighborhoods has left us with an example of how similarly entrenched practices that disrespect the vulnerable and unrepresented in our society can be nudged toward reconciliation. Luther had a vision of a community that included everyone and functioned to promote the health and welfare of all. Jesus, too, had a dream about the character of community. The scriptures we will consider this next Sunday are Isaiah 62:1-5, John 2:1-11, and 1 Corinthians 12:1-11.

The community choir is preparing a piece consistent with the testimony of Luther, devised by Tony Dorsey, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand," performed previously by U2.

May it go well with  you.  Sincerely,