[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:19:28 -0500

I pray your experience in the recent past has enriched and encouraged you.

Whenever we hear the word sacrifice a kind of reverence arises within us. The term ‘sacrifice’ suggests an esteemed capacity to incur a loss. The name identifies a valuable thing intentionally given up. Sacrifice is more than just being without something that could be used for personal benefit and pleasure. In order for some loss to qualify as a sacrifice it must be at our disposal to manage as we choose. So the purpose for which some valuable item is given away must be more important to us than keeping for ourselves the value sacrificed. Human history is filled with examples of persons offering valuable things including their animals, their children, and their own lives for purposes they value more than their offerings. And in many of these instances the item sacrificed is killed in the hope this will accomplish the intended purpose. It seems that Jesus did not participate in the sacrificial killing rituals that had become the practice of his religious community. And it was not because he had no sin. His idea of sacrifice differed from the customary understanding that sacrifice can atone for offenses against God. For Jesus sacrifice was not a death to redeem sinfulness but rather a life to honor what the creator God has intended human life to be like. Doing this consistently was the sacrifice of Jesus.

The scriptures suggested for next Sunday are Deuteronomy 6:1-9; Mark 12:28-34; and Hebrews 9:11-14. Thoughts prompted by these passages will compose the sermon, 'The ultimate sacrifice.'

We will celebrate Communion together during the worship service this next Sunday. And we will share our community meal together.

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME ENDS THIS WEEKEND. Remember to set your clocks backward before Sunday morning to recover the hour we lost last spring.

May it go well with you. Sincerely,