[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 17:26:08 -0500

I pray you are refreshed in your journey of faith.

Have you ever been alone? Do you remember what emotions were induced by your mind; what feelings rushed through your body as you pondered your situation? Do you have surges of emotion from just thinking about being alone even though you now are removed from this experience? Do you feel alone in this moment? Being alone is not always a harrowing incident. There are times when all of us wish to be unaccompanied—to have the opportunity to catch up with our self; to reflect on ideas and conversations; to disengage from company and activity for awhile in order to be recomposed. Yet in these kinds of occasions we may be separated but we will not feel entirely alone: someone is expecting us to arrive and to participate; there is a community we can be a part of if we choose, a place where we will be welcome. Isolation resulting from a personal choice is different from being alone—having absolutely no one to turn to; no one within reach; no one to be present with even though you yearn for it; long for it; ache for it. The creation narratives speak of the beginning of human life and emphasize the formation of female and male creatures. We usually, traditionally, think of this arrangement as a formula for marriage. However it is also a prescription for the prevention of loneliness. This may be the encompassing intention of this story.

The scriptures suggested for this next Sunday are: Genesis 2:18-24; Mark 10:2-16; and Hebrews1:1-4, 2:5-12. Thoughts prompted by these passages will compose the sermon, 'Not good to be alone.' Hopefully there will be a few minutes for you to share your thoughts with the community as well.

The Worship Committee has struggled to find a way to provide consistent, compassionate care for young children whose parents prefer they be in a nursery setting during study time and worship. Our former practice of relying on volunteers from the community has not been sufficient for staffing the nursery each week. Recently a nursery care provider was hired to provide this important ministry, however she has indicated she is no longer interested in continuing in this position. If you have suggestions or opinions about how we can serve families in our community as well as those who visit with us, or if you wish to commit to helping in the nursery, please discuss your thoughts with Judy, Carrie, Laura, and/or me.

May it go well with you. Sincerely,