[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:22:40 -0500

I pray you are able to give thanks as you invest yourself in service to God's kingdom and the community.

It is truly intriguing whenever we recognize the differences in the composure of persons in relationship to the circumstances that define their lives. Some people seem to have a deep contentment in surroundings that appear to be bleak and troublesome, devoid of almost any attraction whatsoever. These persons seem to struggle to maneuver through obstacles that aggravate their search for survival and labor to manage meager resources to provide the most basic support for themselves and their families. Yet these persons have a deep underlying serenity that produces joy for them. Some people seem to be frantically searching for a missing ingredient even when immersed in what appears to be every comfort and convenience that can be imagined. They easily spend themselves and their wealth in the pursuit of acquiring more things and even use their power to control resources that seem to bring happiness to others. The ways individuals respond to their physical situation amazes us. What brings peaceful relief to one person might not in the least way bring calmness into the life of someone else. What is at work in this scenario? Is there an explanation for this discrepancy in how a particular condition might be an occasion for joy for one person and agony for another?

We will hear these scriptures this next Sunday during worship: Jeremiah 11:18-20; Mark 9:30-37; and James 3:13-4:3, 7-8a. Impressions from these readings will compose the sermon, 'Getting what you want.'

Also we will continue the opportunity for you to sign the covenant to be church together with us during the time of 'Offering.'