[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 08:53:43 -0600

I pray you are inspired as you experience the beauty and joy of community.

The office computer is not receiving emails for now. Please use another method of contacting me until we can resolve this problem.

I will be out of the office next week for my regularly scheduled absence. On Feb 15, David Kline, a music teacher in St. Stephens Episcopal School and an entering student of Duke Divinity School, will be preaching for us.

One can often despair when engaging situations in which persons are prevented from participating in meaningful and fulfilling life. All resources and energy can be exhausted and nothing may seem to have changed. A latent hope resides in the soul of those who undertake this kind of investment—that the spirit of God might somehow vindicate their witness and validate the efforts intended to promote the way of life God has destined all humans to experience. Yet the reservoirs of power appear to be controlled by those persons who choose to manipulate and oppress and disenfranchise. Violence seems to be the best method for successfully achieving perceived goals and attaining desired advantages. Nurturing relationship appears to be a skimpy alternative for managing conflict when the capacity to injure and harm can effectively and more quickly force a predetermined solution in a circumstance where decision making has stagnated because of dissension. Where is God in these incidents? Are these situations hidden from God? Does God disengage in direct control and allow humans to maneuver in a bounded yet somewhat open field? These thoughts will compose the sermon for next Sunday, 'Sick and left behind.'

We will began the new Sunday schedule this weekend. Sunday study time will start at 9:30 and the worship service will begin at 11.

May it go well with you. Sincerely,