[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 10:04:47 -0600

I pray you are refreshed and encouraged on your journey of faith.

The following words are a part of Dr. Martin Luther King's sermon on November 6, 1956, in Montgomery, seven days before the U.S. Supreme Court ruled against Alabama's bus segregation laws:

Always be sure that you struggle with Christian methods and Christian weapons. Never succumb to the temptation of becoming bitter. As you press on for justice, be sure you move with dignity and discipline, using only the weapon of love. Let no man pull you so low as to hate him. …I still believe that love is the most durable power in the world. Over the centuries men have sought to discover the highest good. This has been the chief quest of ethical philosophy. This was one of the big questions of Greek philosophy. The Epicureans and the Stoics sought to answer it; Plato and Aristotle sought to answer it. What is the /summum bonum /of life? I think I have discovered the highest good. It is love. This principle stands at the center of the cosmos. As John says, “God is love.” He who loves is a participant in the being of God. He who hates does not know God.

Laura and I will be visiting with the Unitarian Church on Atlanta Street this next Sunday, discussing Mennonites and CPT.

May it go well with you. Sincerely,