[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: "garland robertson" <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Austin Mennonite Church" <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:29:32 -0600

I trust you are refreshed and encouraged by the blessings of this season of
divine promise.

On the bulletin cover for this next Sunday you will see the caption, 'Love
frees from fear.'  This claim engages us, prompts us to inquire, challenges
us to discover the basis of such a bold declaration.  We live in a nation
whose government maintains that fear cannot be avoided.  Our leaders advise
that we can either be afraid and do nothing or let our fear motivate us to
be prepared-to ensure that we continue to develop and acquire increasingly
sophisticated weapons to use in the inevitable violent confrontation with a
growing number of enemies who constantly threaten us.  In this calculation
there is no option for freedom from fear.  We recall that Jesus, too,
initially suggested that his followers buy swords if they had none.  Yet,
whenever he was apprehended on the mountainside, he choose another response.
He refused to let fear determine how he would live.or die.  Was it love that
made this change possible for him?  If love really can free us from fear
then perhaps we need to learn more about love.  What manner of love's
operation prevents us from being conquered by fear?  These thoughts will
compose the sermon, 'Fear not being close enough.'