[amayausers] Re: soccer bag damaged

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:21:41 -0400

Not much you are going to be able to do to fix this one...because the
material is not a 'woven' material. Once you sewed it, you created a
perforated tear line and it will tear the first time the bag is
overfilled.
I had custom canvas/nylon bags made from banner material to carry
'band' flags on buses-by a company that was making blank banners for
my sign shop. They used good heavy duty webbing to make the handles,
reinforced, etc. like tote bags....first time the kids had the flags
and poles in the bag and 'swung' the bag into the bus, the handles
started tearing right out along the hem line-just like your embroidery.
I ended up taking them to a 'car top' repair-he makes 'soft tops' and
replacement convertible tops, etc.
He had to go inside and sew a 'patch' larger than the handle areas
and use a stitch that was 3 times longer than the others to sew this
'patch' in-then resew the handles through the bag into this patch.
This way there was no longer a finely perforated 'tear line' in the
material.
Many shops 'do' sew on customer supplied materials but you take a big
chance on it...the bags and totes you buy from YOUR supplier
generally can be trusted to work with embroidery...the stuff the
customer buys at Wallyworld or SportsRUs won't be-they are made cheap
and sold cheap.
Your call if you want to do something but no matter what you tell the
customer about it, they will hold YOU responsible for damaging it!
I turn away work every week just like this-or talk the customer into
letting me get a similar item to sew and they return their item.
Had a client bring in a Lands End vest to embroider-price tag on it-
$65.....I pulled a SanMar vest out of the box I had-matched them up
to each-almost identical in weight, style, color, etc. Price from
SanMar (retail)  $29.00......guess what she will buy next time?