[amayausers.com] Re: lettering on polos

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 02:48:03 UT

This message was posted by levelbest on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/572.html#000003

Depends on the polo.  Different quality polos can sew very differently.  More
and more we have seen that.  Really nice ones have tighter stitching and the
thread lays down really well - cheaper ones have bigger "gaps" if you will and
present a challenge.

For small lettering, use fonts specifically designed for that purpose.  Most
have underlay already built in, so don't add any if they do.  Check your code
sheets for minimum suggested size and instructions of what to set things at
based on font size/height and experiement from there.

Backing wise, we ALWAYS use 2 pieces of cutaway.  Just our experience that a
great foundation eliminates a ton of problems down the line.  We sometimes use
Solvy when all else fails.  I don't really like it but sometimes it's
necessary. Especally on cheap polos - where stitches will inevitably fall in
the nooks and crannies.

Increasing the column width does help deal with "sinking" issues as well.

Julie is dead on with her advice.

On real small lettering, 60 weight thread and 65/9 needle is a MUST.  There is
simply no other way to get really clean looking text when things get tiny.
Small needle, thinner thread.  True on the density as well, going to 4.5 or 5
can help greatly when working tiny,  Seems counter intuitive but it works.

We never slow the machine down that slow - even on hats.  Usually run at
1050-1150 on polos.  If we are having issues, we sometimes get to 950 but that
is very very rare.

Bottom line is, it's easy to make most anything look good on dress
shirts/denim/twill - it's much more difficult on polos.  It takes tweaking and
patience.  We usually have a different sew file for every different kind of
fabric as each requires different adjustments.