[amayausers.com] Re: help, buying caps for the first time!!!

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 20:35:59 UT

This message was posted by Aaron on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/4/272.html#000001

I'm going to give you my opinion on caps and some will agree and some may
disagree.  We sew over 2500 caps per month here and have lots of practice and
have tried about every brand you can think of.  The cheap hats are exactly
that, cheap.  You get more thread breaks, the hats are not put together as well
so you get more crooked ones.  Otto is actually a very good cap for the price.
Nissan is cheap and I don't highly recommend them.  You can get lots of Otto
styles for under $2 or right around $2 and they are way nicer than getting one
from Nissan for $1.25 or so.  My main hat supplier is Pacific Headwear.  Most
of the caps I sell from them are around $2.75 - $3.50 my cost and my custoemr
love them.  If they want cheap I tell them to go buy some overseas and get
cheap hats for a cheap price.  Pacific has really nice flexfits and you will
find any quality flexfit is gonna run you $4.50-5.50.  You can get the cheaper
ones from otto and they are ok but they don't stretch like t
 hey are supposed to so the fit is not as nice and to me not worth the 1.50
less or whatever they are.  Sanmar makes some styles that are pretty good but
they aren't real inexpensive and I think alot of them run around the same price
as Pacific Headwear.  I don't recommend selling or sewing items that are too
cheap or look cheap cause cheap reflects back to you when someone asks "where
did you get those hats"?  I have gotten numerous new customers from word of
mouth by selling quality products with superb embroidery and would not change a
thing.

I would like to mention I am a contract embroiderer and my contractors often
order from Nissan, KC, cheap Sanmar hats, etc cause they are all about the
bottom line and if they can save a few bucks and put it in their pockets they
are happy but they are not the ones having to sew on these and in my opinion it
makes them look bad selling cheap stuff.  Its surprising what people will send
over for embroidery.

I am working on a 200 piece hat order now for a car lot that wanted cheap
giveaways and they brought me a 1.49 and a 1.09 hat from SANMAR as samples that
they had done for their other car lot.  I am doing the same ones for them cause
they wanted a $6 hat but I am not thrilled with it and they are OK but not as
nice as I would normally sell.

So, be careful what you sell people cause it will effect you in the future
whether you realize it or not and you want to be known as the one in town doing
Quality  not cheap and quanity, you can leave that up to the Chinese  :)

By the way Pacific headwear is www.pacificheadwear.com
(http://www.pacificheadwear.com) and they are located in Eugene, OR.   They are
great to work with and if you are in a bind you can have them sew them for you
as well if you have other jobs.  I let them sew alot of my Little League hats
to free up time for me to do the full back jackets they order and it went real
smooth last year.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Aaron Sargent
The Linen Barn