[amayausers] Re: fonts used

  • From: "Roland R. Irish III" <signman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 13:21:54 -0400

unfortunately, the fonts we WANT to use AREN"T included in the batch you get
with the program...we printed out the entire font package and put it in
plastic 'sleeves' in two notebooks-and customers pick out what they want.
didn't take us long to figure out the most wanted fonts were NOT included
and are OUTRAGEOUSLY priced! So we went back through and removed all the
'nonincluded' fonts from the notebook.
I try to steer clear of the 'stock-everybody uses it' font list-same with my
signs and banners. But for small type there is nothing you can do-the micro
blocks, helveticas-just gotta have them-anything else with serifs and script
disappear in the fabric.  For school clubs and teams, the athletic/ivy
league/college fonts are good-fit the image. Christmas stockings, I use a
bold script. Company logos I try to find the closest font to the companies
'trademark' and sometimes convert the font to wireframe and edit it to match
exactly.
So its hard to say 'my favorites'-we have probably used 30 or more fonts in
the short year we've had the machine!
I'm going to take the biggest hoop we have, setup a 'sampling' of at least a
dozen fonts-and do a sewout with the 'smallest' character and then a 1" and
2" to use as a 'demo' since we are setting up another shop that will just
take orders for us for small jobs-he has a good trophy business and picks up
the occasional small job. This 'demo' will give him some real sewouts of
different fonts and show the sizing difference to take orders. Did it
already with sewouts of chest pocket size fire dept maltese crosses and
such-and have a $500 jacket order already!
Roland