[amayausers.com] Re: bags

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:13:45 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/598.html#000001

Hi Debbie...
quick note...'denier' isn't the type of bag-that refers to the 'thickness'
(like ounces) of the vinyl. So a 600 denier is heavier (thicker) than a 400
denier, etc.
#1-I do a lot of totes, some backpacks, duffle bags, all from Sanmar. I use
sharps only.
#2-If I use magnetic bobbins (which I think are great!) I do not change the
bobbin tension-the magnetic core itself adds some drag to the thread which I
find keeps the thread looking even much better-and I never get the 'looping' I
do with regular bobbins.
Here's some hints...unless I'm working on a lightweight flimsy 200 or less
denier, I never use backing-the nylon is heavy enough to get a good solid
surface. I let up a little on density-don't go too tight. Lettering for
example, where I might use density of 4, I go 4.5, etc. and auto setting, not
manual. Most of the bags I use the 6.5 x 5 slim line, speeds it right up. Your
thread breaks may be from your tote hanging over the edge and not being
supported, or it is sliding in the clamp enough to move the needle sideways. I
use the steel top frame, never the yellow one, and if the bag is large enough
to move, I have a couple of 'wedge' clamps with the wings bent down to hold it
in place.
I still can't do decent hats without wasting a ton of time and rejects-but I've
got totes down pat!