[amayausers.com] WHo owns the file & Getting files from competitors

  • From: "Linen Barn" <linen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:52:03 -0700

I have a competitor 15 miles from me and everytime I received a file from him through a customer it didn't work and when I call him he never would give me one that works so I always just re-digitize for anyone that had used him. I have an artist who used to sa batoge the 1 job he did art for for me cause he wanted the screening work and my customer just had him doing art so it would never come back how we asked and the custmer paid over $1000 for the art. Some people are like that.

As far as who own what I was always under the understanding if you send a design to be digitized the digitizer owns the right to that and you just are able to use the logo for your customer even though its their logo the digitized version is owned by the digitizer unless they realease ownership of the design to you and then you own the right to the digitized file unless you sell and transfer the ownership to your customer. They still own the right to thier original graphic or art just not the digitized format. It can be confusing.

As far as Im concerned if I charge my customer a setup and they for whatever reason want thier file I give it to them although that can create an unfair advantage to my competition. Say the same customer has me doing work and another embroiderer doing work. We can both have the file digitized by different digitizer and the file will not be exactly the same. So if my digitizer is better and I give that file to the customer and they take it elswhere they have a design that I had done that is very nice and the competition might not have the capability or experience to make this logo look great on their own but by getting the file from me they are halfway there as long as they use proper hooping, backing and colors they can look as good as me because of my file. I think I have done enough damage on this subject for now :)

Aaron Sargent
The Linen Barn
linen@xxxxxxxxxxx
541-770-2957