[amayausers] Re: WACF v. Conventional Cap... AGAIN!

  • From: "Rod or Sharon" <springer37@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:46:19 -0600

MessageJohn,
  When you say, " When I look at others", whose  and what others are you
referring too? Some caps are sewen during the manufacturing process before
being assembled. This allows for the custom designs that looks as if the design
continues right out onto the bill of the cap. This is all done before the cap
is even sewen together.

  As to your question about the CCF/WACF vs the WACF and getting the design to
sew closer to the bill of the cap.....the answer is yes, with limitations and
some risk involved. The design can be pushed as much as about a short 1/4th of
an inch with the CCF/WACF and not much more than about  1/8th of an inch with
the WACF.......NO MORE THAN THIS..........

  The tecnique is to "disable the hoop limits" but you must assume the risk
involved in doing so. I'll say this again, "disabling the hoop limits is done
at your own risk."

  On the WACF, the hold down band that goes across the seam of the bill and the
crown portion of the cap, must not be allowed to slip down the slope of the
cap. If the band slips, two things will happen, first the presser foot will
start hammering on the band or second, there will be a needle strike on the
band which could cause some serious damage and you know what that means, a tech
call and $$$$ involved.

  The mere fact that the presser foot is impacting the slope of the cap harder
and harder as it gets closer to the bill of the cap, means that the band could
be dislodged and slide down the slope. Personally, I would not recommend
attempting this with the WACF. You really have to babysit the process and must
be very vigilant at all times.

  The CCF/WACF does not have this crossover band and therefore eliminates this
problem but there are a couple of other issues that are involved with pushing
the design down to far. These focus on the slope of the cap and the material
buildup in the seam between the bill of the cap and the start of the crown area
. As the presser foot gets closer and closer to the bill of the cap it starts
impacting the material harder and again, two things start to happen. First the
presser foot will start to leave a foot print from hammering the material and
if the design is pushed too far, the presser foot will start to slide down the
slope of the cap and collide with the back side of the needle and bang, in the
blink of an eye, needle break. Thread breaks may be a persistant nussiance from
a design being too low in the sewing field as well. There are several varibles
that must be considered and the center seam always provides a challenge. The
closer you get to the bill of the cap, the greater the challenge becomes with
the center seam.

  I find that the CCF/WACF is more forgiving with this process but the danger
of pushing the design too far and a presser foot/needle strike still exists, so
beware, you have been warned!!!!!!!!!!!!

  It must be mentioned that secondary to the warnings in the information
provided above, if the design, and it depends on the design, the cap, brand,
style, type, etc., is pushed too far, the quality of the embroidery will
suffer. This is very apparent on lettering and/or satin borders. The embroidery
may become distorted and stretched, etc.

  I could go on and on, but, It cannot be over emphasized of the risk involved
and to be vigilant and very careful any time the hoop limits have been
disabled, regardless of whether sewing flats or caps..I have used this tecnique
with success on varying designs and probably works best when sewing things like
arrowheads, shields or things that have a point on the bottom of the design
that may be centered on the seam.

  I hope this helps to answer some of your questions about the cap issue.......

  Rod Springer

  Embroidery Cottage
  Rod & Sharon Springer
  Melco Trained Amaya Tech & Trainer