[amayausers.com] Re: Trouble with hats

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:25:41 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1167.html#000001

A simple rule I learned in training class...if you digitize a design for
shirts, it won't work on hats. Digitize a design for hats, it WILL work on
shirts. Confused?
Sewing on hats is the hardest to do because you are working with X, Y, AND Z
movements. Needle up and down, hat side to side, AND around a curve. So you
have everything against you.
You need to plan the sewing so it starts closest to the brim first (lettering
under the design, for example) and THAT has to be done from the 'center' of the
line out to each side. Easy to do-click a button in your text property window.
Now, the design above-90% of the hats have a center seam-this is a real butt
kicker. Your needle has to go through up to 6 layers of material at once! So it
screws up the density and tightness of the thread. Plan the design, if a fill,
once again to start in the middle and work out-or if you can't, start on the
bottom and work UP towards the crown of the hat.
Densitys for fills cannot be as high (low number) for hats as shirts-so a shirt
design fill of 4, might be a 5 or 5.5 on a hat. Lettering that is a 3.5 might
have to be a 4.5 or 5, and no underlayment on lettering unless it is fat.
Increase pull comp on lettering, makes it bolder.
Hats are tricky-I don't have my machine up and running or I'd say to send me
the design and I'd look at it for you-but someone else here might offer to
help. Take your time, slow the machine down, doublecheck your hooping, use a
stiff tear away backing...etc. etc. etc....hats are a real bugger-but a few
folks here are experts at it and will help you!
Ed...where are you?