[amayausers.com] Re: Thread Match

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 20:31:27 UT

This message was posted by The Embroidery Authority on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE
DO NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by
clicking here:
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/2/1251.html#000003

Jo,
Question for you...
Are you able to explain why one would need to turn a needle in any direction on
the machine?

What troubles me as a tech is that quite a few customers of mine tell me the
only reason they turn their needles is because that's what they were told to do
and nobody took the time to explain to them why they should turn their needles
and exactly how much to turn.

What this lack of information does is causes all forms of inconsistencies from
shop to shop and ultimately sewing problems for you, the sewer.

In short, if the thread you are using comes off the spool relatively straight,
then your needle eyes should be straight forward.
If you find that the thread you are sewing with has a tendency to curl when it
released from the spool, then you may want to turn your needles slighty to the
right.  Just don't over do it with the turning to the right as can also cause
thread breaks.  5 degrees to the right is considered optimal.  On a clock, the
first minute mark past 12 o'clock is at 6 degrees.  Meaning 5 degrees rotation
is almost un-noticeable by most folks.

Think for a moment that you had to throw a ball through a spare tire hanging
from a rope.  If you are perpendicular to that tire, the shape of the tire is
round.  If you turn the tire slightly, then the shape turns to an oval.
What I'm talking about has everything to do with the shape of the loop of
thread behind the needle when the needle is in the fabric.
If you turn your needle, then you are turning the loop of thread behind the
needle.  The rotary hook point has to shoot through this tiny loop that is
formed and it does so around 20 times a second.  Meaning it's very important to
get your needle position correct.

If your thread started to become more "curly like" as you got closer to the
spool, then turning your needle slightly to the right is a trick we do to get
that thread to sew better.  However you may simply decide to put a new spool of
thread on the machine and call it a day.

I hope this information helps you in understanding more about needle
orientation (rotation).

Ed Orantes