[amayausers] Speaking of bad bobbin spools......

  • From: e3m@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:05:10 +0000

Speaking of bad bobbin spools....
Thought I'd share something I saw today that I haven't seen in a while.
Customer was having problems with thread breaks, false thread breaks, false
bobbin breaks, pull-outs and who knows what else I can think of, on one of
their four brand new Amaya XT's.  When checking all of the customary settings
everything seemed to be in order.
I checked the bobbin and it was fine.  So I decided to compare the bobbin
tension in the bobbin case while holding the bobbin in my hand and then again
as I inserted the bobbin case into the rotary hook/bobbin basket.  What I found
was that the bobbin tension significantly increased as I "snapped" the bobbin
case into it's position.

What was causing this dilemma was the fact that the bobbin spool was too fat
for the bobbin case.  Now I know we have an obesity problem here in the United
States but this is ridiculous.
This was one odd ball bobbin that apparently took on too much bobbin thread at
the factory and being too wide, was slightly protruding out of the back side of
the bobbin case which caused problems when the case was plugged into the
machine.  This was from a brand new box of cardboard sided, Coats Brand,
bobbins.
Swapped bobbin out with another "thinner" bobbin spool and all our troubles
went away.

Now, I'm an advocate for the cardboard sided bobbins when it comes to "bang for
my buck", but this is one more check I will be checking more frequently from
now on.

Good luck to all,
Ed Orantes
Amaya, XT, Sequin, EMT & C Technician