[amayausers.com] Re: Small font

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 14:16:54 UT

This message was posted by Rod or Sharon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/1001.html#000007

Pam,

The "minimum column width" is a form of pull comp also. It only affects those
areas of the column that are less than whatever number you place in this box.
If you select 10 pts, for example, then no part of the column will be allowed
to be less than 10 pts wide. It does not affect any part of the column that is
already wider than this 10 pt figure. This applys to any satin stitch column,
regardless of whether is is in lettering or just a satin column in a design.

There are two areas of pull comp, one by percentage and one by X and Y.
Percentage will visually grow or expand the fat sections of the columns faster
than the skinny sections. For instance, if we use the numbers 100 and 10 in
regards to column width. If we take 10% of 100, you get 10. If you take 10% of
10, you get 1. In this example, the fat number(100) is growing 10 times faster
than the skinny number(10).

X & Y....if you add 1 point and have the lock box checked, then this form of
pull comp will add 1 pt of width to EACH side of the column regardless of how
wide it is to start, giving you a 2 pt increase. If you add 2 pts then you will
get a total of a 4 pt increase overall. Take the number 100 and 10 again. If we
added 2 pts in the X and Y, then you will add 2 pts to each side of the
100....(2)100(2).... to get a 4 pt increase in the column width or 104. If you
add 2 pts to the number 10....(2)10(2)...., then you will get a total column
width increase of 4 or 14.

These are things that must be [played with to acheive the required results.
Sometimes a combination of both % and X,Y work the best. Sometimes one or the
other work best.

As far as Minimum column width is concerned, 10 pts or above should be the rule
of thumb used for column width. A 10 pt column is only about 40 thousands of an
inch wide. That is less than 1/2 of 1/10th of an inch.

Hope this helps to understand the pull comp tools a bit more....

Rod Springer
Amaya Tech & Trainer