[amayausers] Re: Skinny Columns

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:49:00 UT

This message was posted by Mr. Sew & Sew on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/213.html#000004

Aaron - I agree with you 100%.  I've been doing this for about 2 years now.
When I first got into it, I had a partner and we bought 2 XTs.  The plan was
that he would do all the digitizing ( he works with computers)  and I would do
most of the production.  His business plan figured that we could do about
$250,000 of business in the first year - NO I'm not kidding.

Well - by our thrid order (about a month in), I learned that it's not just plug
and chug and the digitizing was taking days instead of hours.  He was yelling
that I was coming up the curve too slowly and he was out bidding for jobs that
we would have lost money on because we didn't understand so much of the
business.

I bought him out and decided to build slowly and at my own pace.  The easiest
decision I made was to contract out the digitizing work except for the simplist
designs.  For those, I played with the auto-digitizing function until I
understood the logic behind how the system wanted to make various shapes.

Guys like Aaron and others on these boards are generous with their time and
knowledge and try to help us newbies get through the day without fighting the
same battles they've fought over the years.  Yes, the equipment and software
has improved in the last 10-15 years, but it is still nto a simple process.

I just wanted to thank Aaron and the others on these boards that help folks
like me avoid the stupid mistakes that in hindsight are so obvious.  I would
not be as far along with my business were it not for these boards and the good
folks on them.

Send out the digitizing - concentrate on production.  Use any free time to
learn DS and the OS better so you can understand when something doesn't go the
way you think it should why it happened.

just my two cents

Tom