[amayausers.com] Re: Sewing leather

  • From: theboards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 21:22:05 UT

This message was posted by gcannon on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY VIA
http://www.amayausers.com/boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/1/1130.html#000001

I do leather all the time- biker's vests.  I keep the 75/11 light-ball point
needles in the machine.  You MUST use less density than you would on most other
items, especially the outer edges or it will cut out the design.  I also run on
auto acti-feed; but I feed a LOT more thread to the needles.  I may have the
column feed as low as 20, and the run/fill feed as high as 116, depending on
the design.  The leather I do is thick, so I generally put the presser-foot up
3 clicks.  I would only do 2 clicks if the leather is thin.  Also the
start-inching thing I set at 1, so the needle gets to going fast- no time for
the thread to pull out.  I set the trim lenght to long as well.  If you have a
ruined piece or a scrap, I would try these things on that before I did an
expensive piece for a customer.  Good luck.  PM me if you feel the need.