[amayausers.com] Re: Rush fees?

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:26:46 UT

http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/254.html#000001

I have bronze castings done through a foundry-just sent in 2 orders. They are
normally on a 3 week production schedule.
Their 'rush charges'...
3 week guarantee 20% or $30 minimum
2 week rush 30% or $40 minimum
6 workday rush 50% or $60 minimum

I have other companies for specialty goods that will do anywhere from 24 hour
rush to  5 day or so-and generally there is about a 50% surcharge of the normal
order. Some add $100-$150 charge.
I have rarely done a 'rush charge' but sometime you just have to do it-because
you are going out of your way and bumping someone else's order. So I may bump
up the order 10%, or just add in $50 or so for the 'inconvenience'.
However-there ARE certain customers-we all have them-that automatically assume
THEY are our most valued accounts and DEMAND that I drop everything to deal
with them immediately! I have 3 or 4 of these-and my wife now knows that when
they come in or call, we 'already' are BOOKED UP for the next week and will
call THEM when I can take a few minutes away from SOMEONE ELSE"S ORDER I AM
WORKING ON. I won't even talk to them-I get busy on the computer or make noise
in the back room-anything to show them I am BUSY and THEY have to wait. It's as
bad as the person with a full grocery cart in the 10 items or less lane that is
also parked in the handicapped parking spot because 'they'll just be a minute'
Too bad...my life doesn't revolve around THEM!
Don't worry about 'overcharging' the customer-YOU are the one that has to deal
with everyone ELSE that wonders why THEIR order is delayed! Setup a chalkboard
with all 'orders in progress' on it-and add this 'can't wait' customer to THE
BOTTOM of it-and show them-when you finish everything ABOVE them, then it's
THEIR turn!
But remember-you will get 'emergency orders' from other accounts that you will
do immediately-I'm waiting for artwork for a digital banner that is needed by a
non-profit group tomorrow-they didn't know they had to have it until yesterday.
Good group, good people, AND they said PLEASE!!!

Roland