[amayausers] Re: Patches

  • From: webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:13:35 UT

This message was posted by Shuffletown Embroidery on AmayaUsers.com. PLEASE DO
NOT REPLY VIA EMAIL. Instead, respond to the thread on the WEBSITE by clicking
here: http://www.amayausers.com/boards/ultimatebb.php?/topic/2/45.html#000001

I'm getting ready to make a few patches. This is the first time I've made them
in volume. The customer is not interested in a merrowed edge so here's what I
am going to do:
Create design. Add a run-stitch border outline 1 mm inside finished edge;
duplicate this run-stitch border (used for placement); add a centered zig-zag
outline .40mm inside finished edge and (used for tack-down); then add a 3.5mm
satin-stitch border to create the finished edge. I use edge run and double
zig-zag underlay under the satin stitch.

First hooping: stitch design and first run-stitch border. Stop the machine.
Remove design from hoop and cut it out (carefully) using the run-stitch border
as a guide.

Second hooping: Hoop white wash-away tear-away stabilizer. Stitch second
run-stitch border. Remove hoop from the machine and lightly spray the
stabilizer with 505 adhesive and allow to dry a bit. Place cut out patch onto
the stabilizer using the run-stitch as a guide.
Stitch zig-zag (tack-down) border, then the satin stitch border. Remove from
hoop and tear away excess stabilizer.

You may have to play with the width and placement of all the borders. I will
say that it will be challenging to manually cut out the patches and get them
perfect, but the objective is to support the satin-stitch border as much as
possible with the patch fabric. So it is important to have the edge of the
cut-out to be as close to the outer edge of the satin stitch border without
poking out beyond the stitching. Be aware that the patch will "shrink" a little
when it comes out of the first hooping, so your set-back for your run-stitch
may be smaller than you think it should be. But the "placement" run-stitch
border shouldn't be any closer to the edge than 1 mm.

Good luck. Call me if this is clear as mud and think I can help.
Mary
Shuffletown Embroidery
704-398-1273

PS: My patches are small, so I plan to do several in a single hooping.